On March 18, 2021, the 27th edition of the Women of Distinction Award of the Women’s Y Foundation was held, under the honorary presidency of Mr. Laurent Ferreira, Chief Operating Officer of the National Bank. A first edition entirely broadcasted online raised $119,555 for the programs and services offered at the YWCA Montreal. More than 160 people gathered in front of their screens for a friendly and inspiring breakfast.
During the event, 10 awards were presented to exceptional people who are making a difference in their respective fields.
- Education and information category – presented by Bell / Kate Arthur, Founder and CEO of Kids Code Jeunesse and Founder and Executive Director of Code Club Canada
- Arts, culture and design category – presented by Power Corporation Canada / Sophie Bissonnette, Independant filmmaker
- Public services category / Julie Bruneau, Familial and Emergency Medecine Professor at Centre Hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal
- Business and entrepreurship category – presented by Desjardins / Milla Craig, President and Founder of Millani
- Sports, health and well-being category / Olga Hrycak, Retired Basketball Coach
- Social and environnemental engagement – presented by Rogers / Rachel Kiddell-Monroe, Executive Director of SeeChange Initiative and Board Director of Doctors Without Borders
- Research and innovation category – presented by L’Oréal Canada / Isabelle Peretz, Professor and Researcher at Université de Montréal’s psycholy department
Special awards – presented by National Bank
- Achievement Award / Ms. Phyllis Lambert, Architect and Founding Director Emeritus, Canadian Center for Architecture
- Inspiration Award / Mr. Fabrice Vil, co-founder and president of Pour 3 points
- Coup de cœur award from the YWCA / Ms. Ethel Meilleur, participant of the Montreal YWCA Residence program
An inspiring event
Masterfully animated by Myriam Fehmiu, the award ceremony was interspersed with touching and gentle performances by Ingrid St-Pierre, Lynda Thalie and Cathy Gauthier as well as discussions with four employees of the Montreal YWCA :
Ms. Alicia Pachano, employee in the Employability Services team, spoke to us about female empowerment and the importance this has in the job search journey of many women.
Ms. Isabelle Gélinas, Director of Communications of the YWCA Montreal, addressed the aspects of prevention and awareness made by the different teams of the organization in order to tackle the challenges of inequality, exclusion and violence from the root.
Ms. Sandrine Boisselle, head of the Legal Information Clinic, testified about the requests for help she receives on a daily basis from women who wish to take their destiny in hand.
Ms. Elizabeth Alarie, program manager of the Residence, explained to us the impact of a stay at the YWCA on the lives of the participants who pass there. How a few weeks or months can make all the difference and provide a brighter future for those who need it most. How a few weeks or months can make all the difference and provide a brighter future for those who need it most.
The 27th edition of the Women of Distinction Award would not have been possible without the work of our organizing committee and our valued partners:
- National Bank as honorary president
- L’Oréal Canada
- Power Corporation Canada
- Secrétariat à la condition féminine du Québec
Thank you to the entire technical and production team who made this first 100% virtual edition possible: Transmission MTL (virtual platform and recording studio), Khoa Lê (artistic direction), Bruno-Pierre Houle (scenography) and Julie Bass (lighting design). A huge thank you also to caterer Robert Alexis who took care of stimulating the taste buds of the guests with breakfast boxes delivered directly to their doors.
Women of Distinction Award 2021, the call for nominations is underway
The 2020 edition has barely ended and we are already looking for the winners of the 2021 edition. The awards event is planned for this fall!
You have until April 16, 2021 to submit an application. Don’t hesitate to nominate women from your personal or professional circle who have an impact in their sectors and communities!